Mary, Mother of Mercy Parish was formed from the former parishes Our Lady Queen of Peace in Pitman, and Our Lady of Lourdes in Glassboro. We are a part of the Camden Diocese, under the leadership of the Most Reverend Dennis Sullivan.
Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish
In 1940, Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish began as a mission of the Parish of Saint Bridget in Glassboro under the care of the first pastor, Monsignor James Foley. It was the lone Catholic stronghold in Pitman’s solidly Methodist population. The church was dedicated in April of 1954, and the local Catholic community consisted of 130 families. Pitman, which has a distinctly small-town feel, has been a place where the families of Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish could raise their families with Catholic values in a safe and peaceful atmosphere. The church community cherishes all that their parish was and has come to represent – faith and family.
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish
Our Lady of Lourdes was established in 1966, also as a mission of the Parish of Saint Bridget, and was overseen by its first pastor, Monsignor Stanley Krysiak. The town of Glassboro was initially a factory town, serving the workers of the local glass manufacturing plant. It also boasted Glassboro State College, now known as Rowan University. Glassboro and neighboring Washington Township were growing a strong family base due to the growth of the college and a booming migration of people to the suburbs. Our Lady of Lourdes was established to serve the needs of the growing Catholic community in both the college town and the surrounding township. The parish has been a strong community of welcome, service, and family faith.
Mary, Mother of Mercy Parish
Mary, Mother of Mercy parish was established on June 22, 2011 under the care of its first pastor, Father James Casadia, through the parish merger process that began in 2008. It combines the best aspects of Our Lady, Queen of Peace Parish, and Our Lady of Lourdes Parish. Today, in the care of our pastor Father William Kelly, the parish consists of over 2,200 families. We, as parishioners, strive to live by the mission of our parish: “Together with Mary, our Mother, our Catholic community welcomes all to receive, live, and share the Divine Mercy that comes from Jesus.” Mary, Mother of Mercy exudes a sense of hospitality and welcome to all who join us in worship, and share the work of living our lives as disciples of the message of Jesus Christ. Weekly adoration of the Blessed Sacrament supports and enriches this Eucharistic community, and the parish enjoys over 30 active ministries. In addition to these, we are blessed with many models of faith formation to serve parishioners of all ages in and around our community. With God’s grace and blessing, we look to the future of the parish as a bastion of Catholic faith and values for many generations to come.